Sunday 3 July 2011

Rise Against "Hero of War"

Rise Against "Hero of War": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DboMAghWcA

The opening shot of the singer in "Hero of War" shows him sitting on some swings in an abandoned playground. I like the use of the long shot as it shows the audience the location of the song and the surroundings that the singer is in. Also, this shot uses the rule of thirds as he is not sitting directly in the middle of the screen, but instead just off to the left.

I like the use of a medium close up in this shot as it focuses more on the singer, rather than the surroundings. I also like the way in which the camera shows a long shot of the singer whilst the music is playing, but the moment he starts singing, the camera zooms up to him. I may use this effect in my music video as I like the contrasts and transitions between each camera shot.

Every time there is a shot of the singer, the camera angle is always different, meaning that two shots are never the same. Even though the camera has moved a tiny bit, it still gives the audience a different perspective of the singer and makes the music video more interesting.

I like this medium shot as the audience get to see more of the surroundings that the singer is in. I also feel that the location of this song really suits the theme as the song is about the experiences of soldiers fighting in Iraq/Afghanistan as well as the pain that is suffered by the civilians and this can be seen in the playground where he is sitting as there is no one there apart from him, meaning that it is too dangerous to play there now.


Throughout this music video, the singer is never directly in the centre of the screen but either just off to the left or right. This makes it more interesting as the audience are able to see more of the surrounding features of the buildings and playground that he is sitting in. For my music video I am thinking of using the rule of thirds as well as different camera shots to make the scenes of the singer more interesting.

I like this shot of the singer has the audience can only see the top of his guitar and it just makes the shot more interesting, rather than just having the whole of the singer and guitar in the shot.

In this shot, the camera is not in a fixed position, but is slowly moving around the singer. I like this as it is different from the other shots of him and makes the shot more interesting. I may incorporate this into my music video as I like this idea of using fixed camera shots with moving shots.

I also like this shot as it again gives the audience a different perspective of the singer but also shows them a different angle of the deserted playground. For my music video I am thinking of using long shots combined with medium close ups as it will make the video more interesting as it will give the audience different perspectives of my singer.


Throughout the music video there are numerous shots of civilians in war torn streets. I like this shot as the  Mis-En-Scene matches that of the playground that the singer is in as the surroundings in this shot are dirty and almost baron.


I also like the use of narrative in this video, as it talks about the experiences of soldiers in Iraq/Afghanistan. I feel that scenes like this go with the music video as the song is quite dark and somber and the images of soldiers walking through worn torn streets and deserted warehouses adds to the theme of the song.

I like this shot of the boot stepping on the broken glass as it adds to the somberness of the song as it is talking about the destruction and pain caused by war and this can be scene in this shot, where the soldiers are walking through a warehouse, as there is broken glass and piles of rubble littered over the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment