Friday 1 July 2011

Green Day " Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)"

For the media task I have chosen to recreate a music video as I feel that this will be easier to do than a short film or a 1 minute trailer. After searching through numerous music videos I have decided to choose The Wrestler by Bruce Springsteen as I feel that this is a suitable song for the atmosphere and surroundings of Jersey. After having chosen the acoustic genre, I researched 5 acoustic music videos that I feel will give me some ideas for my music video, such as different shots of the singer as well as different transitions between shots. Also, as the song that I have chosen to recreate is quite somber and simplistic, I will not be using that much narrative, so in the videos that I have researched I will be focusing more on the different shots of the singer.

Green Day "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMUlLQkta50

For the opening shot of Good Riddance, the main singer is sitting on a bed with his guitar. I like this shot as it gives the audience a view of the type of room that he is in and also lets them find out more about the character. For example the room is quite simple as there is not much in it, apart from a few old photos, a bed and a lamp. However, the blandness of the room, which is helped by Mis-En-Scene, matches the song perfectly as it is a very simplistic guitar song.

The next shot of the singer is a medium close up. I like this as the singer is not directly in the middle of the screen, but just to the side of it and at an angle, which uses the rule of thirds, meaning that things just off the centre of the screen are more interesting than those bang on in the middle.

 This is a close up shot of the singer and yet again shows different angles of him, making it more interesting to watch from the audience's perspective. I also like how he is not looking directly at the camera and I am thinking of using this in my music video as I find that singers who look directly into the camera can be somewhat distracting and for me it feels slightly awkward. However, because he is not looking at the camera, it seems as though he is looking out into "space" like he is reflecting on something in the past and I believe that this adds to the song as it is about things you have done in the past.

I like this shot as it gives the audience a unique perspective of the singer. The elevated shot also shows the audience more of the Mis-En-Scene, such as rubbish and bits of paper, that is in the room.

This shot is good as it is a change of scenery yet the Mis-En-Scene stays with the theme of the song and the other room. For example, there is not as much in it except for a ripped poster and a couple of chairs. The Mis-En-Scene is consistent throughout the music video and adds to the simplicity song.

This shot is a medium close up of the singer. Just behind his right shoulder are some objects that may tell the audience some more information concerning the singer, and as it is just off to the side, it makes it more interesting for the audience to watch.

In this shot, the camera has just moved slightly to the right, allowing the audience to see a different perspective of the singer and the objects behind his right arm. I like this shot as nothing has really changed since the last shot of the singer and this gives a feeling of consistency between each shot and helps to add to the song as they are simplistic shots of the singer and they go with the simplistic theme of the song.


This is another long shot of the singer, which allows the audience to see more of the room that he is in and a different view of him. Also, the singer is not looking at the camera, but again is looking off into the distance, as though he is reflecting his thoughts.


I like this close up shot as it shows the singer hunched over his guitar and looking to the ground. I may use this type of shot in my music video as it shows that the singer is busy with his thoughts, rather than looking directly into the camera at the audience.

 This is another shot of the singer but this time he is in the room he started in. I also like the angle that he is positioned as he is not sitting directly in the centre of the screen and not looking directly into the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment