Monday 4 July 2011

Johnny Cash "Hurt"

Johnny Cash "Hurt": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clq01TXQR0s

The opening shot of the singer is a medium close up of his guitar. I like this shot as it just shows him playing the guitar and nothing else and I think this adds to the simplicity of the song.

I like this shot of the singer as it shows him playing the guitar as well as singing. I may use shots like this in my music video as I like the transitions between shots as it gives the audience different perspectives of the singer.


I think the use of a medium long shot in this scene is good as it allows the audience to see more of the objects behind the singer and it also makes the scene more interesting to watch as long shots are mixed in with close ups, instead of just consisting of the same type of shot.

I like the transition from a medium long shot to a close up of the singers face. I think that within acoustic music songs it is important that there are a lot of different shots of the singer as it makes the music video more interesting to watch and gives the audience a different perspective of the singer.

This shot shows the singer with his hands on the cover of a piano. I like this shot as later on in the video he is playing the piano and I feel that without a shot of him by the piano would mean that later on in the video when he is playing it, the audience may question where he got it from. Also, it enables there to be a reference point for the audience to refer to during the video.

This is the type of shot that I was talking about in the previous screenshot, as the singer is now playing the piano. I like the way in which the use of lighting and use of chiaroscuro means that everything in the foreground is black whilst the background is bright.

The shots of the singer playing the piano are almost match-on-action as he opens the piano case and then starts to play it. I also like the way in which all the shots of him on the piano are different and that there is never just one shot of him playing the piano, but there are a combination of shots.


I also like the way in which shots of him playing the guitar are mixed in with shots of him playing the piano as it makes the video more interesting and also allows the audience to see different angles of the singer.

I think that this shot of him playing the piano works really well as it shows the individual notes that he is playing and along with the other shots of him playing the piano adds to the somberness of the song as the piano notes make up the deep base of the song as it climaxes.

I think that this shot of the side of the singer's face is really good as it is a different angle to the other shots and I also like the use of the fill light to give his face more shadow. I may use a shot like this in my music video as I really like the use of side shots of the singer's face as it allows the audience to see different shots of the singer and helps to make the music video more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment